Tuesday, February 4, 2014

The arched top door Minster Oh Core framework

Wood Plans Woodworking Carpentry Download
The cores frame is now taking shape!
Here is a picture of the jig I made to cut circles. It works like this: I made a table for the band saw that has graduated holes every inch. A pin (a cut off 16 penny duplex nail) acts as a pivot point when inserted into one of the holes. The workpiece is then fitted on top of the pin, and rotated through the band saw. With this jig, I can make perfect circles anywhere from 2" to 48"! For this project, Ive made a special pivot hole at 17-13/16" (the radius of the arch of this door).

After cutting the outer arch, I cut a similar inner arch. I have then fitted the vertical stiles, and the bottom horizontal brace, and assembled with glue and pocket hole fastners. I use the Kreg pocket hole jig for that job, and it works pretty well. However, I do not want to trust the joint integrity to just pocket hole joinery, so Ive backed it up by gluing the joints as well. The pocket hole joints will not be seen, so it is a good and convenient way to secure this frame.

I have also installed a horizontal mid-rail, that reflects where the bottom of the glass pack will sit. I have laid down the template of the glass pack to see what the door/glass is going to be shaped like - I like it!

All open areas inside this frame will be filled with stave construction methods (see previous post).

Its time to make a trip back to Minster to do a test fit. This unit is square, but if the opening is not square, then now is the time to make adjustments! Because this jobsite is 2 hours away (one way), I need to make an appointment to make the trip and test fit, but it will be a trip well worth while.





TedsWoodworking Plans and Projects

No comments:

Post a Comment